I Have A Confession To Make.....

My life as a freelance gardener has taken quite a turn of late, as I continue to scale my workload down to allow for the growth of my vegan catering business 'just frank' and to give me the time I need to spend in my own garden, particularly the veggie patch.

Gardening has always been a passion of mine, I grew up in a 'green-thumbed' family, and I have certainly dabbled in all elements of gardening over the years, none bringing me more joy though that tending a well-prepared veggie garden.

What some would see as hard work, I see as an art, a creative process which yields a harvest of such high quality nutritionally, that I can't resist immersing myself in it.

I have a confession to make....I'm a hippie. I was born in the 60's so what can you expect!

Upon waking in the morning, I love nothing more than taking a stroll through the garden to see what has sprung forth overnight and to admire Mother Nature's handy work, and I simply love getting my hands dirty as I prepare for planting at the beginning of each growing season. I prefer gardening clothes to pretty girly dresses, and sometimes, I'm a total recluse, preferring the solitude of my garden with only the birds and my fur babies as companions.

I would be lying if I said it wasn't hard work, but this also depends on the size and intensity of your gardening project.
My veggie garden is huge and I have removed a lot of my 'regular' garden and lawn to make way for plants that provide me with food, leaving me with a relatively small fresh food bill.

Last night after work, I picked the box of produce pictured here which is only a small selection of what I have maturing at the moment. It's hard to resist picking it all at once, (it's all so pretty!) but it's important to understand that unless it's overripe and must be picked, most veggies keep best left on the vine/plant until required, as once they are picked, their nutritional content begins to decline.

*This is an important point to note when thinking about imported supermarket produce which is often weeks, if not months old by the time it makes it way inti your shopping trolley.*

As I wandered through my two large 'patches' last night, I couldn't help but feel in awe of what nature can bring forth in a little patch of earth, with some forward planning and manual labour, and let's not forget it's therapeutic value.

If I am feeling a bit flat, even half an hour tending the 'patch' can lift my spirits and reconnect me to my purpose again.
I highly recommend setting up even a small veggie garden whether that be in an existing patch of ground in your garden, a freshly dug patch in a corner somewhere or even in some large tubs if space is an issue for you.

I am so passionate about this most rewarding of gardening projects, (as you have most likely picked up by now!) that I just want to help everyone set one up.

If this is something that may be of interest to you, please contact me and I would be more than happy to help you to get started.








Comments