Fried Rice 'With The Lot!'

As I begin writing this morning's blog post, the clock has just ticked over....4:49 am, and just in case you are wondering, I'm not begrudgingly sitting here writing, I'm a seriously keen morning person who loves this time of the day.
Apart from the sound of my fingers tapping on the keyboard, translating what my mind is thinking into the written word, it's so peacefully quiet and it is without question, my favourite time of the day.



Super Healthy Eating And Cooking From Scratch....The Vegan Way


If you were one of the attendees of my Super healthy eating and Cooking workshop at the Mount gambier Library last Sunday, you will have been witness to me demonstrating my favourite fried rice recipe and as promised on the day, here it is.
If you weren't there, I hope you enjoy cooking this hearty rice dish as I put my vegan slant on it using some delicious ingredients which you can interchange to suit your own personal taste.
The veggies I have used in this version are my own personal preference but feel free to add or subtract at your will.
This recipe makes between 5-6 cups of cooked fried rice depending on how many veggies you add to it.
As I suggested at the workshop, it's always best to pre-boil your rice a day or two before to allow it to chill properly before adding it to your fried rice dish.
I think this is the single most common mistake people make and often stops them from trying to cook fried rice again. Using freshly boiled, still warm rice results in gluggy fried rice which isn't very appetising at all.

I also like to add some cubes of marinated tofu sometimes as well. If this is something you think you may enjoy, cube and marinate half a block of extra firm tofu for 3-4 hrs or overnight. Drain the liquid off and heat a small amount of sesame oil in the wok until hot, then fry tofu until slightly golden on the outside, tossing as you go. Drain on some paper towel and set aside. Re-add to the wok after the veggies have been cooked and just before you add the cooked rice.

A Quick Word On The Subject Of Frozen Veggies


Some people will dismiss frozen veggies as inferior, and as you would imagine, fresh is always best, particularly organically grown ones if you have access to them, but I honestly believe that frozen veggies are a great 'go-to' option.
I have a close friend who works in the frozen food industry and his extensive tours of veggie farms and production facilities have armed him with the knowledge that most veggies are 'snap frozen' only hours after having been picked, which would make them a whole lot fresher than some of the veggies that you would find on the supermarket shelves, particularly the imported ones.
I'm a staunch advocate for helping you to get more veggies on your plate, however I can, so until these habits are firmly entrenched and you feel as though you want to get more adventurous, I'm all for keeping your freezer stocked with a selection of veggies such as peas, beans, corn and a few stir fry mixes for a quick addition to the fresh veggies that you have.


Good luck and happy cooking my friends.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Frank's Fried Rice

1 cup of uncooked brown rice
3-4 tspns sesame oil
4 spring onions
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 red capsicum diced
4-5 button mushrooms diced
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup sweetcorn
1 small zucchini grated
1 small carrot grated
1 cup of beans sliced (frozen ones are fine)
1 tspn Massel Veggie Stock Powder
1-2 tblspns sweet soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Cook rice according to directions on the pack a day or two prior, rinse and drain well before chilling in the fridge until required.
Heat wok on medium to high and add sesame oil. Once oil is hot, add onion, garlic and capsicum and fry until fragrant.
Whilst maintaining high heat, add all other veggies and toss until slightly tender, add all seasonings and continue to toss.
When cooked to your liking, add rice and toss until blended well.
Heat through and adjust seasonings to taste.
Enjoy!!



Comments