Cooking From Scratch.....Join The Revolution


If you are an avid food label reader like me, you have probably been as frustrated as I get at times at the number of store purchased products that are loaded with a whole stack of numbers in the ingredients list that you know don't translate into 'health and wellness.' (or maybe they do if we actually knew what they were!)

Living as an ethical vegan means having to be even more vigilant when it comes to decoding ingredients lists as you look for 'cheese powder' and similarly described dairy and egg products in random grocery items.

Sometimes it's just bizarre where you find these ingredients, and this is why I quite simply love cooking from scratch!
I'm not going to tell you that I never eat refined sugars or that I don't love an indulgent treat from time to time, (it's all about balance) but the art of creating my own vegan meals and treats, is so that I know exactly what
I am fuelling my body with at all times.

I grow most of my own fresh produce so I know it is as fresh as I will ever be able to get it, something I feel fantastic about, and as far as everything else goes, I buy organic where I can.

Making your grocery shopping a conscious activity rather than just going through the motions will end in a far healthier shopping trolley and certainly a healthier and happier you. Certainly, it will take more time initially, but once you familiarise yourself with the healthier, more ethical options that are available to you, it just becomes second nature.

Feel free to contact me for more information on anything I have discussed here.

I will be sharing more about setting up your own veggie patch in the near future.
No matter how small your backyard, 'homegrown' food is available to everyone.

Today I am sharing a deliciously wholesome recipe with you that is super easy to make, requires no baking and will be a hit with all members of your household.
I hope you enjoy it!

Love and light folks,
Leah. <3



No-Bake Oaty Bars


Ingredients


1½ cup rolled oats
½ cup peanut butter
¼ cup coconut oil
¼ cup brown rice syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ cup raisins
pinch of sea salt

Instructions


1. Line an 8x8 baking pan with baking paper and set aside.
2. Pulse oats in a food processor a few times to make a course flour and set aside.
3. In a small saucepan over low heat add peanut butter, coconut oil, brown rice syrup, sea salt, vanilla and cinnamon.
Stir until melted and well combined.
Remove from heat and transfer to a medium bowl.
Stir in oats and raisins.
4. Press mixture into the lined baking pan. Use fingers to pack dough down well. Place in the refrigerator for a few hours to set. (or place in freezer to speed up the process!)
5. Remove from parchment paper and cut into 12 bars.
6. Keeps well in the fridge for approx 5 days.

*Recipe adapted from an original recipe from BeginWithinNutrition*

Comments