Gardening....It's Cheaper Than Therapy

Gardening....It's cheaper than therapy, and you get tomatoes.
Have you heard that saying before?

It's so true, and yes, after the effort that's involved in preparing the soil, planting and tending whatever it is that you've elected to plant, there's a reward!

When I'm discussing the art of veggie gardening with folks and more specifically, the suggestion of them growing their own produce, the most common obstacle to them actualising this seems to be the 'apparent' lack of space in their backyards in which to grow a bountiful crop of organic produce.

Obviously, if a market garden is what you have in mind, the average suburban backyard isn't going to be anywhere near enough, but most folks only want to grow enough to feed between 2 and 4 people, depending on the size of their families.

I love gardening, and growing my own produce has been a life long passion for me, so I've opted to dig up 1/3 of my entire backyard and use it for food growing purposes including veggies, fruit trees and herbs.


Having this much ground put aside for such purposes isn't everybody's 'thing,' nor is it necessary in order to reap the benefits that are derived from growing veggies in your own backyard, and with a move towards smaller backyards or even a courtyard setup, a simple scattering of pots is all that's required.

With tomato planting season well underway, it's not too late to get a plant or two up and running to satisfy your family's tomato needs for the coming summers salads, sandwiches and with careful tending, even enough for some fresh pasta sauces.


The photo above right shows a large terracotta pot in my backyard which is home to a 'Tommy Toe' tomato plant, a cherry type tomato perfect for salads or for simply eating straight from the bush. Carefully staked as it grows in height and width, this variety will yield extremely well and makes for a very attractive potted plant.


If space is an issue and growing your own veggies is something that calls you, there are so many containers available that lend themselves well to this purpose, pots being only one.
I once used some old wooden drawers as seed raising boxes and have also tried my hand at pallet gardening, both proved to be very successful and come highly recommended.
I hope this information will help to unleash the backyard veggie gardener in you, and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me via email or by commenting below.
I'd love to hear from you.

I hope to see you at the local nursery this afternoon!
Love and light,
Leah. <3



Comments