What Milk is That?

Milk Alternatives '101.'

I suspect I was lactose intolerant long before it was a common diagnosis of touchy tummy issues and bloating and I suffered painfully at the hands of anything I consumed that contained more than a mere trace of dairy. As a child, milkshakes had me projectile vomiting at school fetes and public outings and cheese and yoghurt did horrible things to my intestinal tract and bowels. (I'll spare you the details!)
Back in the day, it went undiagnosed, not through lack of attentiveness, but more because it wasn't widely recognised as an issue that could be fairly easily remedied by a simple dietary change. I say simple, and while some people struggle to give up their beloved dairy foods, with cheese often being the most difficult to ditch, I happily gave it all up in preference for a normal functioning digestive system.
Fast forward a couple of decades and choosing a vegan lifestyle gives me an added incentive to give up even the smallest amount of dairy in my diet.
These days, there are so many alternatives to cows milk that they almost take up the same amount of shelf space in the supermarket and most of these are also relatively simple to make from the comfort of your own kitchen. Deliciously creamy and tasty, many store purchased varieties are fortified with Vitamin D and an extra serving of calcium if that's something that you think you aren't getting enough of elsewhere in your diet.
I would always strongly recommend some scrutinising of labels when first choosing a brand as many of them contain too many additives for my liking including sugar and preservatives. When I'm not making my own, I always choose organic and with the least number of added ingredients.
Below is a list of the most commonly available milks but there are many others that I'm yet to try. Cashew Nut Milk is right up there on my list of yummy things to source.....
In a future blog, I will share with you some tips on making your preferred variety at home.


Soy milk is arguably the most popular and easiest-to-find non-dairy milk on the market. Made from soybeans, soy milk has just as much protein as dairy milk does and is a great source of calcium and vitamin D. Since a lot of supermarket chains make their own store-brand versions now, soy milk can be very easy on your wallet although I would always recommend choosing the organic option with no added extras which is most often more expensive.

 

Almond milk is made from—you guessed it—almonds. This non-dairy milk has a tasty nutty flavor, and it’s also great for vegans with soy allergies since it’s soy-free. Almonds are a great source of protein, fibre, vitamin E, and calcium, so you really can’t go wrong with this one. You can even easily make your own almond milk which I will go into in a future blog.

    Rice milk is a grain milk processed from rice. Like almond milk, rice milk is also soy-free, and it’s also handy if you’ve got a tree-nut allergy. When fortified, this milk can be a great way to get calcium, vitamin B12, and vitamin D2 and is also easily made at home.

    Hemp milk is made from hemp seeds and has a nutty taste like almond milk. Hemp milk is a great source of protein, and it’s also rich in all 10 essential amino acids, including omega-3 and omega-6. Like rice milk, hemp milk is great if you’ve got a soy or a tree-nut allergy, and it’s also great if you’re just looking for a tasty nondairy alternative.



    Coconut milk is made from the water that comes from the “meat” of a coconut. If you don’t like the taste of coconut, you may not be into coconut milk, but if you’re a big fan, you’re in for a treat. Coconut milk is also a great source of calcium, vitamin B12, and vitamin D!

    Oat milk is made with pre-soaked oat groats, which are hulled grains broken into fragments. Oat milk features a mild, slightly sweet taste, and can be used in the same way as rice milk or soy milk. Western herbalists recommend oat milk as a tonic for the nervous system. Oat milk is very low in fat and lactose free. Another fantastic milk to make at home.


    Comments